Dining In: Portobello Stuffed Peppers

Another adventure in imaginative cooking this weekend: Green peppers stuffed with fontina and portobello mushroom. It turned out very tasty but could use a little work to be more appealing.

I simply chopped a mushroom cap and mixed it with an approximately equal amount of grated cheese. I also sliced the 'lid' off of two medium green peppers and removed the core and seeds. Stuffing the mushroom mixture into the peppers was tough because there was so much, and I knew it would shrink while cooking so I overfilled them and placed the pepper-lid back on top.

Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. When they came out of the oven, the mushrooms had significantly reduced in size actually leaving extra room in the peppers, and they released a fair amount of liquid. What I will try next time is pre-cooking the portobello before mixing it with the cheese, and poking holes in the bottom of the peppers to let some liquid drain out. This was a success, and another pretty cheap veggie for dinner (I served it alongside baked chicken breasts).

No comments: